Re: Linux Servers comparison with Windows 2003 servers for Gaming

From: Renato S. Yamane
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 11:48:18 EST

Mihai DonÈu wrote:
On Friday 15 June 2007 17:35, you wrote:
E.g. I have a laptop Toshiba M45-S355 (with ReiserFS) and don't have experience to choose what I can remove from kernel (or compile as module/built-in).

Well, here are some steps:
1. boot an Ubuntu livecd
2. lspci && lsmod and see what it has detected/loaded
3. cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig
4. read the help for each "set" option and see what it does (like many
people did in the early days). If you don't find it useful, press N.

One more detail: Is better put this modules listed in lsmod as "built-in"?

One doubt, in my lsmod I see sd_mod, cdrom, intel_agp, sg, pcmci_core, agppart, snd_page_alloc, and some others, but they didn't listed in .config file

E.g.
#cat config_2.6.21.1.txt | grep -i sd_mod
Result is empty!

Best regards,
Renato