Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

From: Tilman Schmidt
Date: Tue Jul 24 2007 - 05:39:55 EST

Ray Lee schrieb:
> I spend a lot of time each day watching my computer fault my
> workingset back in when I switch contexts. I'd rather I didn't have to
> do that. Unfortunately, that's a pretty subjective problem report. For
> whatever it's worth, we have pretty subjective solution reports
> pointing to swap prefetch as providing a fix for them.

Add me.

> My concern is that a subjective problem report may not be good enough.

That's my impression too, seeing the insistence on numbers.

> So, what do I measure to make this an objective problem report?

That seems to be the crux of the matter: how to measure subjective
usability issues (aka user experience) when simple reports along the
lines of "A is much better than B for everyday work" are not enough.
The same problem already impaired the "fair scheduler" discussion.
It would really help to have a clear direction there.

--
Tilman Schmidt E-Mail: tilman@xxxxxxx
Bonn, Germany