Re: [ck] Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 09:50:42 EST

* Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nick Piggin is the person to convince it seems and if I've read things
> right (I only stepped into this thing at the updatedb mention, so
> maybe I haven't) his main question is _why_ the hell it helps
> updatedb. [...]

btw., i'd like to make this clear: if you want stuff to go upstream, do
not concentrate on 'convincing the maintainer'.

Instead concentrate on understanding the _problem_, concentrate on
making sure that both you and the maintainer understands the problem
correctly, possibly write some testcase that clearly exposes it, and
help the maintainer debug the problem. _Optionally_, if you find joy in
it, you are also free to write a proposed solution for that problem and
submit it to the maintainer.

But a "here is a solution, take it or leave it" approach, before having
communicated the problem to the maintainer and before having debugged
the problem is the wrong way around. It might still work out fine if the
solution is correct (especially if the patch is small and obvious), but
if there are any non-trivial tradeoffs involved, or if nontrivial amount
of code is involved, you might see your patch at the end of a really
long (and constantly growing) waiting list of patches.

Ingo