Re: RFT: updatedb "morning after" problem [was: Re: -mm mergeplans for 2.6.23]

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 06:27:51 EST

* Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Mutter. /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure has been there for what,
> > > three years? Are any distros raising it during the updatedb run yet?
> >
> > but ... that's system-wide, and the 'dont baloon the dcache' is only a
> > property of updatedb.
>
> Sure, but it's practical, isn't it? Who runs (and cares about)
> vfs-intensive workloads during their wee-small-hours updatedb run?

there's another side-effect: it likely results in the zapping of
thousands of dentries that were cached nicely before. So we might
exchange 'all my apps are swapped out' experience with 'all file access
is slow'. The latter is _probably_ still an improvement over the
balooning, but i'm not sure. What we _really_ want is an updatedb that
does not disturb the dcache.

Ingo