Re: updatedb

From: Rene Herman
Date: Fri Jul 27 2007 - 08:31:03 EST

On 07/27/2007 01:48 PM, Mike Galbraith wrote:

physical ram. If it really does use only free ram, that indeed sounds
pretty pointless.

Con's quote from a bit below that seems to confirm the "only free" nicely.

I believe the users who say their apps really do get paged back in
though, so suspect that's not the case.

Stopping the bush-circumference beating, I do not. -ck (and gentoo) have this massive Calimero thing going among their users where people are much less interested in technology than in how the nasty big kernel meanies are keeping them down (*).

Nick Piggin has been unable to get anyone to substantiate anything it seems and even this thread alone (and I privately) received a few "oh, heh, sorry, I don't actually have a friggin' clue what I'm talking about" responses. As such, I believe it's fairly safe to dump the updatedb thing in the garbage as not a practical problem.

Leaves the issue of for example a midnight backup run that could very well itself grow large enough to leave massive amounts of free memory at exit which swap-prefetch _would_ help with. I haven't much opinion on how important such situations are but trying to do something to help those seems sensible in itself.

Rene.

(*) which isn't to say that you guys aren't in fact nasty big kernel meanies ofcourse.