Re: commit 7e92b4fc34 - x86, serial: convert legacy COM ports to platform devices - broke my serial console

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Fri Jul 27 2007 - 14:58:17 EST

On Friday 27 July 2007 12:38:56 pm Yinghai Lu wrote:
> On 7/27/07, Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 July 2007 08:21:06 pm Shaohua Li wrote:
> > That doesn't help with Yinghai's PCI root ordering issue, of course.
>
> I could
> sort the acpi_pci_roots before using it, in acpi_pci_register_driver()

acpi_pci_register_driver() is only used by hotplug. acpi_pci_root_add()
does the pci_acpi_scan_root(), so sorting in acpi_pci_register_driver()
won't affect that.

Can you give a more detailed example? Maybe that would help me understand
the problem you're seeing.

And why is udev not sufficient to give the NICs persistent names?

Bjorn