Re: [RFC 00/26] VFS based Union Mount (V2)

From: Al Boldi
Date: Mon Jul 30 2007 - 14:23:43 EST

Jan Blunck wrote:
> Here is another post of the VFS based union mount implementation. Unlike
> the traditional mount which hides the contents of the mount point, union
> mounts present the merged view of the mount point and the mounted
> filesytem.

Great!

> Recent changes:
> - brand new union structure no longer tied to the dentryn, now works with
> bind mounts
> - generic part of the whiteout patches extracted
> - introduces MS_WHITEOUT to make the white-out patches independant of the
> union-mount stuff
> - uses a singleton whiteout inode for the tmpfs filesystem (I need to fix
> this for ext2/3, too)
> - renaming files on unions uses copyup now

I wonder if this copyup functionality could be generalized to induce CoW when
modifying hard-linked files. Does that sound feasible?

> - rewrote the union mount debugging code: it is now debugfs/relay based.
> - random cleanups
>
> I'm able to compile the kernel with this patches applied on a 3 layer
> union mount with the seperate layers bind mounted to different locations.
> I haven't done any performance tests since I think there is a more
> important topic ahead: better readdir() support.

What about the umount oops? Did that get fixed?

> This series is against 2.6.22-rc6-mm1.

Things as big and important like this should probably also be diff'd against
mainline, to increase testing input.

Thanks!

--
Al