Re: x86_64 and AMD with C1E

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 18:13:19 EST

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Chuck Ebbert wrote:

> >> How are you disabling C1E?
> >>

> > dirty hack, i just follow the FreeBSD way and clear C1e bit in lapic
> > initialization code. I make it for test purpose only, so i do not produce a
> > patch.
> >

> Why does disabling C1E disable C1, C2 and C3?
>
> Thomas, in the case of the machines where C1E is disabled on CPU 0 but
> enabled on CPU 1, could we just disable it? Maybe it's a BIOS bug and the
> vendor just forgot to disable CPU 1...

It's definitely a BIOS bug and I doubt that disabling the bit works on
every BIOS. I have a system here on my desk, where neither of the CPUs
has the bit set, but the lapic timer stops wreckage is there once both
CPUs go into idle.

The mindless creativity of BIOS writers seems to exceed the ability of
hardware designers to produce strange chips by orders of magnitude.

tglx