Re: [patch 2/2] cpusets: add interleave_over_allowed option

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 22:42:04 EST

Christoph wrote:
> Yes. We should default to Choice B. Add an option MPOL_MF_RELATIVE to
> enable that functionality? A new version of numactl can then enable
> that by default for newer applications.

I'm confused. If B is the default, then we don't need a flag to
enable it, rather we need a flag to go back to the old choice A.

So are you saying that:
1) Choice A remains the default for the kernel unless
MPOL_MF_RELATIVE is added, or
2) that the new default for the kernel is Choice B,
unless MPOL_MF_RELATIVE is specified, asking to
revert to the original Choice A behaviour?

Perhaps, either way, whatever compatibility flag we have should be
something that can be forced on an application from the outside,
perhaps as a per-system mode flag in /sys, or a per-cpuset mode flag,
or a per-task operation, by what mechanism is not clear.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability