Re: expected behavior of PF_PACKET on NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX device?

From: Ben Greear
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 21:31:28 EST

Stephen Hemminger wrote:

The code in AF_PACKET should fix the skb before passing to user space so that there is
no difference between accel and non-accel hardware. Internal choices shouldn't
leak to user space. Ditto, the receive checksum offload should be fixed up as well.
Ok, I guess that will fix the sniffing issues and any user-space bridging type applications.

Currently, VLAN devices offer the ability to 'reorder' the header and explicitly remove the VLAN
header. I assume we keep this feature and have the AF_PACKET logic check the device
flags to see if it should insert the VLAN header for hw-accel vlans?

Either way, if we sniff the underlying device, we should always get the VLAN header.

What about drivers and filtering VLANs? It seems there is still a difference between software
vlans and hw-accel in this case.

Thanks,
Ben

--