Re: EIP problem (kernel: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer)

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 10:39:38 EST

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 15:40:15 +0100
<tovarekl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Kernel Gurus,
>
> Please find kindly the description of EIP problems below.
> I greatfully appreciate your kind help.

Hi,

your oops is the first crash reported against generic_make_request in
2.6.18 (in fact, in the last year pretty much) so it's not a very
common pattern. However, you're running a 2.6.18 kernel, which is
really really old (and has many known security issues fixed since);
it's probably a good idea to do a yum upgrade to get a more current
kernel; fc6 ships something like a 2.6.22 or 2.6.23 nowadays as
update...

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven
--