Re: solid state drive access and context switching

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 20:12:07 EST

Chris Friesen wrote:

Over on comp.os.linux.development.system someone asked an interesting question, and I thought I'd mention it here.

Given a fast low-latency solid state drive, would it ever be beneficial to simply wait in the kernel for synchronous read/write calls to complete? The idea is that you could avoid at least two task context switches, and if the data access can be completed at less cost than those context switches it could be an overall win.

Has anyone played with this concept?

I don't think most SSDs are fast enough that it would really be worth avoiding the context switch for.. I could be wrong though.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx