Re: Are Section mismatches out of control?

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 12:02:22 EST

> Subject to someone _making_ it an issue, can't see it changing.

Actually I think that Sam's recent improvements to the section
mismatch detection should make it easy to get at least all of the
driver issues fixed -- the problem in the past was that many warnings
would only show with certain configs or certain compilers (inlining
functions only called once would hide many warnings).

Now I just need to enable CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH and I'm pretty
certain to see everything (and indeed this found a few warnings in
drivers/infiniband hidden by inlining, which I've queued up a fix for).

So the __cpuinit stuff may be trickier and half false positives etc,
but I'm confident drivers/ will be cleaned up quickly now thanks to Sam.