Re: What's the status of x2APIC support in Linux kernel?

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Feb 01 2008 - 23:08:52 EST

> Section 5 and section 9.5 describe 'I/OxAPIC'. I'm not sure if it is
> already supported by Linux, I guess it is not.

I'm not sure what the point of your questions is. Do you want to
do something concrete or are you just interested in random buzzwords?

Anyways as far as I know Linux supports the IO APICs implemented in all
x86 chipsets fully. That is it doesn't use every possible feature they have,
but I'm not aware of any particular limitation caused by Linux
not supporting some IO APIC feature.

The reason for the local x/APIC was that the original non x APIC did not support
more than 8 logical CPUs being active in the system. Presumably IO xAPIC
refers to the IO APIC without this limitation too.

-Andi