Re: [scsi bug] spurious build failures in aic7xxx

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Sat Feb 02 2008 - 08:59:52 EST

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 11:50:56PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> i'm getting spurious build failures with latest -git:
>
> In file included from drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_proc.c:44:
> drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_inline.h: In function 'ahc_pause_bug_fix':
> drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_inline.h:66: error: 'CCSCBCTL' undeclared (first use in this function)
> drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_inline.h:66: error: (Each undeclared
> identifier is reported only once
> drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_inline.h:66: error: for each function it
> appears in.)
> drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_inline.h: In function 'ahc_update_residual':
>
> BUT, if i redo the build, it now builds. It's probably some generated
> file ordering problem?

Can you give a bit more details about your build setup.
I cannot reproduce it here and I tried several combinations of
-j values and ways to specify what to build.

I would at least like to see all lines preceeding this on in your
build log so I get an understanding what happened just before you hit this.

It looks like make started updating the aic7xxx_reg.h file but failed to
finsih the job before it started building aic7xxx_proc.c so the build
of aic7xxx_proc.c picked up a half written .h file.

Sam