Re: [BUG] 2.6.24 refuses to boot - ATA problem?

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sun Feb 03 2008 - 01:26:30 EST

On Sunday 03 February 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>* Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I believe its the same, but lemme paste it for sure, yes:
>> [ 26.339926] ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
>> [ 26.340119] ..TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=0 apic2=-1 pin2=-1
>> [ 26.350129] ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
>> [ 26.350182] ...trying to set up timer (IRQ0) through the 8259A ...
>> failed. [ 26.350185] ...trying to set up timer as Virtual Wire IRQ...
>> failed. [ 26.360186] ...trying to set up timer as ExtINT IRQ... works.
>>
>> The third line is the only line that makes it to the screen during the
>> boot trace.
>>
>> Now, what does this tell us?
>
>the question would be:
>
> - if you remove the acpi_use_timer_override boot flag
> - and if you boot a kernel with this hack applied
>
>=> do those weird PATA failures come back?
>
>If the failues do _not_ come back then the problem is somehow
>affected/worked-around by the IO-APIC code that generates the above 4
>lines. If the failures are still the same then the above 4 lines are
>really just an uninteresting side-effect of the acpi_use_timer_override
>flag - and the real side-effects (that fixes PATA on your box) are to be
>found elsewhere.
>
>Sadly, the latter variant is the expected answer.
>
> Ingo

And at this point, I can't tell. This reboot was from a cold start, without
the argument, and cold by long enough to make the rounds about the house and
pick up a beer, but not take my evening pillbox. A minute cold, maybe 2 max.
The log is clean since except for a kudzu nag of some sort:

[ 50.535388] warning: process `kudzu' used the deprecated sysctl system call
with 1.23.

which isn't your problem, but fedora's.

As I said before, that error has not returned since the first time I used that
argument, and I have booted several times now without it. Uptime now is just
over an hour though, so I'm not taking bets just yet. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)