Re: [GIT PULL] i2c updates for 2.6.25

From: Jean Delvare
Date: Sun Feb 03 2008 - 10:10:08 EST

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:20:13 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 1/28/08, Jean Delvare <khali@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The status is that I want to give people some time to comment on my
> > modalias patches before I merge them. I also didn't have the time to
> > look into the latest patches you sent yet, and I'd rather merge
> > everything at once. So the merge window for this is rather 2.6.26.
>
> Delaying these until 2.6.26 which won't be final until 2009 forces us
> to ship boxes using a private kernel. These patches have been around
> since November. Does it really take over a year to get these changes
> in?

It can even take forever when people piss me off.

This patch set affects 5 different subsystems and several
dozen drivers. All these drivers have been (ab)using the previous
and current I2C device naming and device/driver matching logic in
different ways, and have different expectations and needs. I'm not
changing this now to break it again next month when other kernel
developers will complain that the new model doesn't work for them.

--
Jean Delvare