Re: [patch] pci: pci_enable_device_bars() fix

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 10:31:25 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ingo Molnar wrote:
so please tell me Jeff. If Greg, who is the super-maintainer of your code area, and who deals with your code every day and changes it every minute and hour, simply did not Cc: the SCSI list - how am i, a largely outside party in this matter, supposed to notice that 3 maintainers and 3 mailing lists in the Cc: were somehow not enough and that i was supposed to grow the already sizable Cc: list even more?
Because, regardless of the situation, it's both common courtesy and wise practice to CC relevant driver maintainers, when you touch a driver.

And it's just common sense: Greg simply does not know the intimate details of every PCI driver. Nor do I. Nor you.

In the case of lpfc here, we have an active driver maintainer, and an up-to-date MAINTAINERS entry. Even if you are too slack to read MAINTAINERS, 'git log' would have given you the same info.

Don't pretend there is some benefit here to ignoring the people that best know the driver. I don't buy that; it simply makes no engineering sense whatsoever.

what you _STILL_ do not realize is the following: you still attribute the lack of Cc:s to some intention of mine. No, it was not my intention.

I was never speaking to intent.

I was noting that, having been in the kernel community for years, both of you guys should know that you should always CC a driver author, when touching their driver.

Even after this thread, I have not even heard a "yes, I agree, I should have CC'd the driver author since they know the most about the driver" from either of you, which is quite disappointing.

Instead, I get this long thread in response...

is just super fragile and does not serve users at all. Even Greg and i got it wrong accidentally. If _we_ get it wrong, who will get it

Sure. But... do you agree the CC list should have included the driver author? Do you agree that a mistake was made in this case?

Jeff