Re: a7839e96 (PNP: increase max resources) breaks my ALSA intel8x0 sound card

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 12:38:39 EST

On Thursday 31 January 2008 05:50:13 pm Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Robert Hancock wrote:
> >
> > I think so. There was one objection that it introduced a dependency on pnpacpi
> >
> > Linus also suggested that pnpacpi could be marking the resources as "present
> > but unused" so that drivers can request those regions but we still prevent
> > dynamically assigning resources into them.
>
> I _think_ that's what ACPI used to do before switching over to the PnPACPI
> thing, so I do think that "present but not reserved" approach is not just
> the right one, but also the (historically) tested one.

The reservation happens in drivers/pnp/system.c, and it does mark the
region as "not busy."

I think the problem here is that the PCI BAR is bigger and spans the
region reported by ACPI:

[ 22.906654] system 00:08: iomem range 0xfebfa000-0xfebfac00 has been reserved
[ 31.133141] PCI: Unable to reserve mem region #1:4000@febf8000 for device 0000:00:1b.0

We can easily add more BIOSes to the PNP quirk.

I really don't want to use the earlier quirk that scanned PCI devices
from a PNP quirk. I think that's just wrong because PNP (which
conceptually includes ACPI) is what tells us about PCI root bridges.

Bjorn