Re: [patch 0/3] add perform_write to a_ops

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 15:52:35 EST

> > a_ops->perform_write() was left out from Nick Piggin's new a_ops
> > patchset, as it was non-essential, and postponed for later inclusion.
> >
> > This short series reintroduces it, but only adds the fuse
> > implementation and not simple_perform_write(), which I'm not sure
> > would be a significant improvement.
> >
> > This allows larger than 4k buffered writes for fuse, which is one of
> > the most requested features.
> >
> > This goes on top of the "fuse: writable mmap" patches.
>
> Please don't do this, but rather implement your own .aio_write. There's
> very little in generic_file_aio_write that wouldn't be handle by
> ->perform_write and we should rather factor those up or move to higher
> layers than adding this ill-defined abstraction.

Moving up to higher layers might not be possible, due to lock/unlock
of i_mutex being inside generic_file_aio_write().

But with fuse being the only user, it's not a huge issue duplicating
some code.

Nick, were there any other candidates, that would want to use such an
interface in the future?

Thanks,
Miklos