Re: [git pull] x86 arch updates for v2.6.25

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 22:28:51 EST

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Maxim Levitsky wrote:

> The x86 tree was merged several times, but I don't see kgdb included in
> latest mainline -git.
>
> So just one question, will it be included or no?

I won't even consider pulling it unless it's offered as a separate tree,
not mixed up with other things. At that point I can give a look.

That said, I explained to Ingo why I'm not particularly interested in it.
I don't think that "developer-centric" debugging is really even remotely
our problem, and that I'm personally a lot more interested in
infrastructure that helps normal users give better bug-reports. And kgdb
isn't even _remotely_ it.

So I'd merge a patch that puts oops information (or the whole console
printout) in the Intel management stuff in a heartbeat. That code is
likely much grottier than any kgdb thing will ever be (Intel really
screwed up the interface and made it some insane XML thing), but it's also
fundamentally more important - if it means that normal users can give oops
reports after they happened in X (or, these days, probably more commonly
during suspend/resume) and the machine just died.

kgdb? Not so interesting. We have many more hard problems happening at
user sites, not in developer hands.

Linus