Re: brk randomization breaks columns

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 11:59:20 EST

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:46:48 +0100
Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > In my usual dither, I'm rather hoping Arjan will have a clear
> > > answer.
> >

> > setarch works. If the apps come in source form they need fixing
> > anyway (since I'd not be surprised of current gcc reorders
> > variables), if not.. we only have 2 cases, the other case was the
> > build process of emacs (which got fixed 5 years ago).
>
> uemacs ... broken with randomization
> colums, sss ... local programs, broken with randomization
> procinfo ... broken, randomization makes it die sooner.
> mikmod ... broken with randomization
> bsdsed ... broken with randomization
> Should I test few more?

ok throw that idea out of the window then

the combo of a config option + sysctl sounds the right way forward then ;(

Unless there's a way we can make sys_brk() detect this kind of behavior somehow...
we could track per process if brk(0) was called, and if not, do something fancy to work around stuff?

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
visit http://www.lesswatts.org