RE: x86/non-x86: percpu, node ids, apic ids x86.git fixup

From: Luck, Tony
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 14:08:20 EST

> Applied that patch and UP kernel built ok, and then crashed in the
> same place with the memset() to a user-looking address from kmem_cache_alloc()
>
> So the percpu changes are innocent ... something else since 2.6.24 is
> to blame. Only 5749 commits :-) I'll start bisecting.

The bisection narrowed in on an innocent patch in ipv4 space. Meanwhile
the rush of patches continues. When I retested yesterday when Linus
HEAD was 8af03e782... the CONFIG_SMP=n kernel worked perfectly. So
maybe it was fixed? Or maybe the bug depends on the relative
location of various bits of code/data and as the kernel grows and
shrinks with incoming changes the problem comes and goes :-(

-Tony