Re: [RFC] ext3: per-process soft-syncing data=ordered mode

From: Al Boldi
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 14:21:58 EST

Jan Kara wrote:
> On Tue 05-02-08 10:07:44, Al Boldi wrote:
> > Jan Kara wrote:

> > > So you say we write 4-times as much data in ordered mode as in
> > > writeback mode. Hmm, probably possible because we force all the dirty
> > > data to disk when committing a transation in ordered mode (and don't
> > > do this in writeback mode). So if the workload repeatedly dirties the
> > > whole DB, we are going to write the whole DB several times in ordered
> > > mode but in writeback mode we just keep the data in memory all the
> > > time. But this is what you ask for if you mount in ordered mode so I
> > > wouldn't consider it a bug.
> >
> > Ok, maybe not a bug, but a bit inefficient. Check out this workload:
> >
> > sync;
> >
> > while :; do
> > dd < /dev/full > /mnt/sda2/x.dmp bs=1M count=20
> > rm -f /mnt/sda2/x.dmp
> > usleep 10000
> > done
:
:
> > Do you think these 12mb redundant writeouts could be buffered?
>
> No, I don't think so. At least when I run it, number of blocks written
> out varies which confirms that these 12mb are just data blocks which
> happen to be in the file when transaction commits (which is every 5
> seconds).

Just a thought, but maybe double-buffering can help?

> And to satisfy journaling gurantees in ordered mode you must
> write them so you really have no choice...

Making this RFC rather useful.

What we need now is an implementation, which should be easy.

Maybe something on these lines:

<< in ext3_ordered_write_end >>
if (current->soft_sync & 1)
return ext3_writeback_write_end;

<< in ext3_ordered_writepage >>
if (current->soft_sync & 2)
return ext3_writeback_writepage;

<< in ext3_sync_file >>
if (current->soft_sync & 4)
return ret;

<< in ext3_file_write >>
if (current->soft_sync & 8)
return ret;

As you can see soft_sync is masked and bits are ordered by importance.

It would be neat if somebody interested could cook-up a patch.

Thanks!

--
Al