Re: [git pull] x86 updates

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 16:43:10 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

Well, the real question is "what are the defaults"

Well, I guess my point was that we shouldn't rely on the defaults.

By default:

.bss is (aw,nobits).
.data is (aw,progbits).
.rodata is (a,progbits).
.text is (ax,progbits).

But what about something like ".init.data"?

I'd assume the defaults for unrecognized segments would have to be something sane like (aw,progbits) (ie my patch shouldn't make any difference), but where do we find that out?

The defaults are undocumented, and thus could change from one binutils version to another. Experimentally, with binutils-2.17.50.0.18-1.x86_64, a section named ".init.data" get ("",@progbits) as the default attributes.

-hpa