Re: SLUB: Support for statistics to help analyze allocator behavior

From: Pekka J Enberg
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 17:19:26 EST

Hi Christoph,

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> Ok that would work for small amounts of cpus. Note that we are moving
> to quad core, many standard enterprise servers already have 8 and will
> likely have 16 next year. Our machine can have thousands of processors
> (new "practical" limit is 4k cpus although we could reach 16k cpus
> easily). I was a bit scared to open that can of worms.

I can see why. I think we can change the format summary a bit and have one
line per CPU only:

Allocation Deallocation
Page Add Remove RemoveObj/ Page Add Remove RemoveObj/
CPU Fast Slow Alloc Partial Partial SlabFrozen Fast Slow Alloc Partial Partial SlabFrozen
16000 111953360 1044 272 25 86 350 111946981 7423 264 325 264 4832

In addition, we can probably add some sort of option for determining how
many CPUs you're interested in seeing (sorted by CPUs that have most the
activity first).

Pekka