Re: remount-ro & umount & quota interaction

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 10:36:28 EST

Jan Kara wrote:
[]
>> I mean, why it locks in the first place? Quota subsystem trying
>> to write something into an read-only filesystem? If so, WHY it
>> is trying to do that on umount instead on a remount-ro?

> Actually, I couldn't reproduce the hang on my testing machine so I don't
> know exactly why it hangs. But my guess is that it's because we try to
> write to the filesystem...

I can't reproduce it here easily as well. Yesterday I had a
locked-up console and had to hard-reboot the machine due to
this (it was far from first time when I've hit this issue),
but "on-demand reproducing" don't work (the uptime on that
host was about 100 days, and I had to do some repartition -
hence remount-ro to copy consistent data to other place -
maybe during that 100 day there was something... ;)

And I wasn't able to reproduce it on 2.6.24 so far, as well
(this one is only used on a test machine so far).

I'll keep trying ;)

Thanks for your support!

/mjt