Re: Latest git oopses during boot

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 13:19:06 EST

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Harald Arnesen wrote:

> OK, tried it. Another screen shot attached
> (I must really get another box to use as a serial terminal).

This oops decodes to

8b 44 24 10 mov 0x10(%esp),%eax
8b 90 7c 02 00 00 mov 0x27c(%eax),%edx
83 ea 54 sub $0x54,%edx
24 18 and $0x18,%al
8b 4c 24 14 mov 0x14(%esp),%ecx
f6 41 04 04 testb $0x4,0x4(%ecx)
75 57 jne 0x70
ba d0 80 00 00 mov $0x80d0,%edx
b8 68 bf 30 c0 mov $0xc030bf68,%eax
e8 2f 8a 38 c7 call 0xc7388a57
** a3 14 00 00 00 mov %eax,0x14 **
85 c0 test %eax,%eax
0f 84 b3 14 00 00 je 0x14c0
8b 44 24 14 mov 0x14(%esp),%eax
83 c0 0c add $0xc,%eax

and the oopsing instruction is literally an insane "store to absolute
address 0x14" which will definitely oops unconditionally.

Quit frankly, that code makes no sense. It smells like code corruption,
especially as it is right at a return point of a function call (ie maybe
the function screwed up the stack accesses somehow).

Actually, it look slike the call address itself is screwed up too. I
don't think "0xc7388a57" is likely to be a valid address.

The code *looks* like the test

if (ASC_NARROW_BOARD(boardp)) {
ASC_DBG(1, "narrow board\n");
asc_dvc_varp = &boardp->dvc_var.asc_dvc_var;
asc_dvc_varp->bus_type = bus_type;

but with strange corruption.

Can you do a

make drivers/scsi/advansys.lst