Re: [E1000-devel] e1000 1sec latency problem

From: Kok, Auke
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 13:47:30 EST

Max Krasnyansky wrote:

> Kok, Auke wrote:
>> Max Krasnyansky wrote:

>>> Oh, I've definitely seen worse than that. Not as bad as a 1second though. Plus you're talking
>>> about the case when coalescing logic is working as designed ;-). What if there is some kind of
>>> bug where timer did not expire or something.
>> we don't use a software timer in e1000 irq coalescing/moderation, it's all in
>> hardware, so we don't have that problem at all. And I certainly have never seen
>> anything you are referring to with e1000 hardware, and I do not know of any bug
>> related to this.
>>
>> are you maybe confused with other hardware ?
>>
>> feel free to demonstrate an example...
>
> Just to give you a background. I wrote and maintain http://libe1000.sf.net
> So I know E1000 HW and SW in and out.

wow, even I do not dare to say that!

> And no I'm not confused with other HW and I know that we're
> not using SW timers for the coalescing. HW can be buggy as well. Note that I'm not saying that I
> know for sure that the problem is coalescing, I'm just suggesting to take it out of the equation
> while Pavel is investigating.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot demonstrate an example but I've seen unexplained packet delays in the range
> of 1-20 milliseconds on E1000 HW (and boy ... I do have a lot of it in my labs). Once coalescing
> was disabled those problems have gone away.

this sounds like you have some sort of PCI POST-ing problem and those can indeed
be worse if you use any form of interrupt coalescing. In any case that is largely
irrelevant to the in-kernel drivers, and as I said we definately have no open
issues on that right now, and I really do not recollect any as well either (other
than the issue of interference when both ends are irq coalescing)

Cheers,

Auke