Re: [ofa-general] Re: [patch 0/6] MMU Notifiers V6

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 19:16:44 EST

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Roland Dreier wrote:

> In general, this MMU notifier stuff will only be useful to a subset of
> InfiniBand/RDMA hardware. Some adapters are smart enough to handle
> changing the IO virtual -> bus/physical mapping on the fly, but some
> aren't. For the dumb adapters, I think the current ib_umem_get() is
> pretty close to as good as we can get: we have to keep the physical
> pages pinned for as long as the adapter is allowed to DMA into the
> memory region.

I thought the adaptor can always remove the mapping by renegotiating
with the remote side? Even if its dumb then a callback could notify the
driver that it may be required to tear down the mapping. We then hold the
pages until we get okay by the driver that the mapping has been removed.

We could also let the unmapping fail if the driver indicates that the
mapping must stay.