Re: CONFIG_HIGHPTE vs. sub-page page tables.

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 05:37:59 EST

* Martin Schwidefsky <schwidefsky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 00:15 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > config attached. It seems all !PAE 32-bit kernel builds are broken due
> > > to this. The patch below fixes it.
> >
> > ok, the patch was against x86.git which had some other changes in
> > this area - the one below applies to vanilla -git and fixes the bug.
>
> Thanks Ingo for taking care of it. I already feared that we'll have
> some more fallout from this patch although it has been in -mm for
> quite a while. The real testing starts after a patch hit Linus tree.

i think the worst is over already and i'm reasonably sure that there are
no more bugs in it - this _is_ a 1:1 patch after all, so in theory the
worst side-effect should be build breakages due to include file
spaghetti. The window for this particular breakage was just 256 commits,
that's OK i think.

If you want less stress next time around you might want to consider
pushing such patches via individual architectures, so that it can all be
shaken out (and such build bugs are found quickly) and pushed via the
architecture trees. (Even such a patch that changes the number of
cross-arch function arguments and introduces a new type can be
architectured in a way to make it per arch.)

Ingo