Re: Scheduler(?) regression from 2.6.22 to 2.6.24 for short-livedthreads

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 04:24:13 EST

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 14:31 -0600, Olof Johansson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 08:58:46PM +0100, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> > It shouldn't matter if you yield or not really, that should reduce the
> > number of non-work spin cycles wasted awaiting preemption as threads
> > execute in series (the problem), and should improve your performance
> > numbers, but not beyond single threaded.
> >
> > If I plugged a yield into the busy wait, I would expect to see a large
> > behavioral difference due to yield implementation changes, but that
> > would only be a symptom in this case, no? Yield should be a noop.
>
> Exactly. It made a big impact on the first testcase from Friday, where
> the spin-off thread spent the bulk of the time in the busy-wait loop,
> with a very small initial workload loop. Thus the yield passed the cpu
> over to the other thread who got a chance to run the small workload,
> followed by a quick finish by both of them. The better model spends the
> bulk of the time in the first workload loop, so yielding doesn't gain
> at all the same amount.

There is a strong dependency on execution order in this testcase.

Between cpu affinity and giving the child a little head start to reduce
the chance (100% if child wakes on same CPU and doesn't preempt parent)
of busy wait, modified testcase behaves. I don't think I should need
the CPU affinity, but I do.

If you plunk a usleep(1) in prior to calling thread_func() does your
testcase performance change radically? If so, I wonder if the real
application has the same kind of dependency.

-Mike
#define _GNU_SOURCE

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <pthread.h>
#include <sched.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/syscall.h>

#ifdef __PPC__
static void atomic_inc(volatile long *a)
{
asm volatile ("1:\n\
lwarx %0,0,%1\n\
addic %0,%0,1\n\
stwcx. %0,0,%1\n\
bne- 1b" : "=&r" (result) : "r"(a));
}
#else
static void atomic_inc(volatile long *a)
{
asm volatile ("lock; incl %0" : "+m" (*a));
}
#endif

long usecs(void)
{
struct timeval tv;
gettimeofday(&tv, NULL);
return tv.tv_sec * 1000000 + tv.tv_usec;
}

void burn(long *burnt)
{
long then, now, delta, tolerance = 10;

then = now = usecs();
while (now == then)
now = usecs();
delta = now - then;
if (delta < tolerance)
*burnt += delta;
}

volatile long stopped;
long burn_usecs = 1000, tot_work, tot_wait;

pid_t parent;
#define gettid() syscall(SYS_gettid)

void *thread_func(void *cpus)
{
long work = 0, wait = 0;
cpu_set_t cpuset;
pid_t whoami = gettid();

if (whoami != parent) {
CPU_ZERO(&cpuset);
CPU_SET(1, &cpuset);
sched_setaffinity(whoami, sizeof(cpuset), &cpuset);
usleep(1);
}

while (work < burn_usecs)
burn(&work);
tot_work += work;

atomic_inc(&stopped);

/* Busy-wait */
while (stopped < *(int *)cpus)
burn(&wait);
tot_wait += wait;

return NULL;
}

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
pthread_t thread;
int iter = 500, cpus = 2;
long t1, t2;
cpu_set_t cpuset;

if (argc > 1)
iter = atoi(argv[1]);

if (argc > 2)
burn_usecs = atoi(argv[2]);

parent = gettid();
CPU_ZERO(&cpuset);
CPU_SET(0, &cpuset);
sched_setaffinity(parent, sizeof(cpuset), &cpuset);

t1 = usecs();
while(iter--) {
stopped = 0;

pthread_create(&thread, NULL, &thread_func, &cpus);
/* clild needs headstart guarantee to avoid busy wait */
usleep(1);
thread_func(&cpus);
pthread_join(thread, NULL);
}
t2 = usecs();

printf("time: %ld (us) work: %ld wait: %ld idx: %2.2f\n",
t2-t1, tot_work, tot_wait, (double)tot_work/(t2-t1));

return 0;
}