Re: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 11:36:45 EST

David Miller wrote:
This is why, with the networking, we've just tossed all of the network
driver stuff in there too. I can rebase freely, remove changesets,
rework them, etc. and this causes a very low amount of pain for Jeff
Garzik and John Linville.

s/very low/not low/

Rebasing is always a pain, and John and I both agreed the other day that you do it too often.

I've complained about this before, too... but figured this was just another thing I was getting ignored on, and so life moved on. But don't try to sell rebasing as "low pain".

Rebasing makes the history all nice and pretty, but by totalling flattening the history, trashing all the commit ids (and rewriting associated metadata), you create obvious downstream problems.

Rebasing is low impact only if you don't have git downstream people. Otherwise, you're just treating it as a useful quilt clone, really.

Jeff