Re: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 13:11:42 EST

John W. Linville wrote:
FWIW, I definitely have a (vocal minority) group of contributors
who resent all the rebasing. There may be a few cases of 'vanity'
represented here, but there are definitely reasonable complaints about
not being able to do simple pulls to stay up-to-date and/or having
to rebase before they can send patches to me. FWIW, I think it might
save a bit of my time as well, although I have become pretty good and
"riding the tide" of rebasing... :-(

Definitely... that is the sort of stuff that upstream folks never see when they rebase -- it causes an explosion of downstream rebasing, where each rebase must wait for the one-step-up upstream to rebase, before patches can be sent. It's easy for the rebasing to get exponential quickly, the more downstream levels you have.

Jeff