Re: currently active Linux kernel versions

From: Ferenc Wagner
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 02:28:29 EST

Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> writes:

> I would suggest stable - N-1 for most usages. 2.6.24.y is open, 2.6.23.y is
> supposed to be good. The advantage when you proceed like this is that you
> can jump from an older kernel to a more recent one which has already got its
> share of fixes and is still maintained for some time.
>
> Generally, I would trust Greg when he drops an old kernel, it means that he's
> confident enough in the next one.

Thanks for the useful (and concise) summary and sharing your thoughts
on the matter. Now my only question is: how can I learn that Greg
updated or dropped a kernel without following LKML (which my time
unfortunately does not permit). kernel-announce doesn't seem to
mention such events...
--
Regards,
Feri.