Re: Announce: Linux-next (Or Andrew's dream :-))

From: Catalin Marinas
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 06:18:30 EST

On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 22:16 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> Ted's description matches mine (keep quilt tree in git, edit changelog
> entries, rebase on newer kernel versions, etc.) I can go into details
> if needed.

I added some time ago patch history tracking in stgit and you can run
"stg log [--graphical] <patch>" to see all the changes for that patch
(as a list or via gitk). This is done by keeping a separate DAG of
commits linking small changes to a patch.

> I was amazed at how slow stgit was when I tried it out. I use
> git-quiltimport a lot and I don't think it's any slower than just using
> quilt on its own. So I think that the speed issue should be the same.

It shouldn't be slower than git-quiltimport (at least the recent stgit
versions) as they seem to have a similar approach (using "git apply").
There is probably an extra check stgit does for local changes before
starting the import. Otherwise, just use git-quiltimport and "stg
uncommit" to generate the patches.

StGIT approach for pushing patches is to use git-apply and, only if this
fails, switch to a three-way merge. These days it seems that the
three-way merge is pretty fast anyway, we might drop the former (after
some benchmarking).

> I had a number of issues last time I tried stgit out, but maybe they are
> now resolved, I'll try it out tomorrow and report to the git list
> anything I find that doesn't work for me.

Please try the last stable release, 0.14. The current HEAD has some
restructuring done (but gets nice features like transactions, undo).

Thanks.

--
Catalin