Driver removals

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 21:25:40 EST

Just a general thought on removing drivers in general, when a driver is removed because there's a better one, it would be good to have either a message which shows up at "make oldconfig" time, or a file listing the driver(s) which replace it.

Half the resistance to removing drivers is finding what is supposed to replace the driver. For instance a list of all the drivers Adrian Bunk has suggested to replace sk98lin, so users have something better than searching the source code and/or LKML archive to find the next thing to try.

In general, if a driver works and is being used, until it *needs* attention I see no reason to replace it. I don't agree that "it forces people to try the new driver" is a valid reason, being unmaintained is only a problem if it needs maintenance. I am not going to reopen that topic, I'm simply noting a general opposition to unfunded mandates, and requiring changes to kernel, module and/or rc.local config is just that.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>