Re: Feature Removals for 2.6.25

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 21:51:32 EST

Harvey Harrison wrote:
What: CONFIG_FORCED_INLINING
When: June 2006
Why: Config option is there to see if gcc is good enough. (in january
2006). If it is, the behavior should just be the default. If it's not,
the option should just go away entirely.
Who: Arjan van de Ven

Patch submitted to Arjan, maybe 2.6.25?
---------------------------

The "good enough" of gcc may be architecture dependent. Taking the option away where it works because somewhere else it doesn't may not be the optimal solution.

Ping?
What: eepro100 network driver
When: January 2007
Why: replaced by the e100 driver
Who: Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx>

---------------------------

The last time we discussed this the team working on e100 said there were still issues (IIRC). Have they all been resolved?

Ping?
What: sk98lin network driver
When: Feburary 2008
Why: In kernel tree version of driver is unmaintained. Sk98lin driver
replaced by the skge driver. Who: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

We have been over this several times, and I thought someone had taken over the driver and was providing patches to put it in. Both skge and sky2 have been proposed as the replacement, people have reported problems with each. Suggest leaving this alone until the sk98lin actually needs work, then take it out. Problems in my problem system have been intermittent, take 4-40 hours to show and generate no errors, other than the driver thinks it's sending packets and the sniffer doesn't.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>