Re: reading user. extended attributes from symlinks in 2.6 kernels

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Feb 14 2008 - 11:42:19 EST

Rok Ruzic wrote:
Hello,

I have an XFS filesystem containing files and symlinks with application-specific EAs in the user namespace. The files, symlinks and their EAs were created while running a 2.4 kernel.

In 2.6 kernels access to user EAs was prevented for symlinks. My
problem is that i have to upgrade the kernel from 2.4 to 2.6 series and
i have to have access to all the EAs after upgrade. Is there a way to
read user EAs off of symlinks on an XFS filesystem on a 2.6 kernel
either from userspace or from a filter driver sitting between VFS and
XFS filesystem code?

I would appreciate it very much if somebody could point me towards a solution.

If you want to do it at user code level, you could note the symlink, follow it to the "real" name, and read the EA there. I don't see any easy way to force the kernel to follow the symlink.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>