Re: problem with starting 2.5.25-rc1 and latest git

From: Mariusz Kozlowski
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 03:28:56 EST

Hello,

> > I tried 2.6.25-rc1 and latest git on my laptop (x86 32bit) and have a problem.
> > Linux boots but with huge delay due to some issue with loading usb modules.
> > Udev complains:
> >
> > 'Could not lock modprobe uhci_hcd'
> > 'Could not lock modprobe yenta_socket'
> > 'Unknown symbol usb_*'
> > 'Gave up waiting for init of module usbcore'
> >
> > at the same time I can see these messages in syslog (look at timing - grep by usb):
> >
> > Feb 13 21:34:22 laptop kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
> > Feb 13 21:34:22 laptop kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
> > Feb 13 21:34:22 laptop kernel: usbcore: registered new device driver usb
> > Feb 13 21:34:22 laptop kernel: ehci_hcd: gave up waiting for init of module usbcore.
>
> I don't see how this is a usb issue, it looks to be a module loading
> issue, which is in the module core and module-init-tools.

Well ... that was just a guess.

> What version of module-init-tools do you have, and are you using an
> initramfs that loads these modules? If so, what distro and version are
> you using?

I'm using gentoo. No initramfs. The same configuration under 2.6.24 boots without
delays.

module-init-tools: 3.4
udev: 115 (gentoo says 115-r1)

this is my grub.conf entry (on 2.6.24 I have identical boot parameters):

title 2.6.25-rc1
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.6.25-rc1 root=/dev/hda3 vga=0x318 video=vesafb:mtrr lapic pci=routeirq rootflags=data=writeback

Linux laptop 2.6.24 #2 PREEMPT Sat Jan 26 00:48:39 CET 2008 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Gnu C 4.1.2
Gnu make 3.81
binutils 2.18
util-linux 2.13
mount 2.13
module-init-tools 3.4
e2fsprogs 1.40.4
pcmciautils 014
pcmcia-cs 3.2.8
PPP 2.4.4
Linux C Library 2.6.1
Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.6.1
Procps 3.2.7
Net-tools 1.60
Kbd 1.13
Sh-utils 6.9
udev 115
wireless-tools 29
Modules Loaded orinoco_cs orinoco hermes pcmcia firmware_class ehci_hcd psmouse parport_pc parport 8139too uhci_hcd usbcore yenta_socket rsrc_nonstatic rtc floppy

Regards,

Mariusz