Re: 2.6.24-mm1 bugs

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 13:25:24 EST

> the register dump looks OK as far as I can see. Since initialization
> works OK and the adapter seems to be setup OK reading from the
> register dump, I'm not sure at all what is going on.
>
> can you try manually ifup-ing the device and running tcpdump? do you
> see packets coming in?

Well it does seem to receive the DHCP reply.

> just for kicks, have you tried a different cable? or is the adapter
> consistently working properly using a different kernel/driver?

It has been consistently working properly for a long time with various
kernels (and the e1000 driver). I've now swithed to 2.6.24-mm1 and
e1000e, and it's almost consistently broken after boot and resume, and
sometimes needs several tries (with the KDE NetworkManager thingy) to
make it work.

My guess is that either NetworkManager is buggy, or there's something
else in -mm that's breaking NetworkManager. But now it does seem
unlikely to be an ethernet driver issue.

Thanks,
Miklos