Re: quicklists confuse meminfo

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Mon Mar 10 2008 - 13:21:26 EST

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Christoph Lameter <clameter@xxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > Zeroed pages however will not address the issue of having initialized pgd
> > (which seems to be what i386 needs).
>
> pgd is tiny on i386 PAE (4 * 16 bytes). Are you sure reinitializing that
> is a serious issue? ...

It used to be tiny (32 aligned bytes), then 2.6.22's quicklist enlarged
that to a whole (lowmem) page. I think we were all too busy with other
stuff to protest loudly enough about that bloat.

If the quicklists are going, it'd be good for PAE to go back to a
kmem_cache of 32-byte entries as in 2.6.21 - I think Ingo's patch is
still using a whole page there.

Or have sl?b alignment changes, or virtualization issues (locking
per underlying struct page?), made a kmem_cache awkward there now?

Hugh