Re: 2.6.25-rc5-mm1

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 16:40:42 EST

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:23:00 -0500 serge@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Quoting Andrew Morton (akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
> >
> > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.25-rc5/2.6.25-rc5-mm1/
> >
> > - Added the kgdb tree as git-kgdb-light (Jason Wessel, Ingo Molnar)
> >
> > - Added a random-security-stuff-apart-from-selinux tree as
> > git-security-testing (James Morris)
> >
> > - suspend-to-disk is still busted on my x86_64 t61p (git-x86, iirc)
>
> Compiles and boots perfectly on s390 here.

whee.

Things are going much much more smoothly now than they were in 2.6.24-rcX
and 2.6.23-rcX. Tree integration problems are negligible and build errors
are far fewer and runtime problems seem to be less too. Fingers crossed.

I guess this is due to a combinaton of

a) linux-next

b) intensive whining and

c) extra care which maintainers are taking (due to a) and b))

I suspect that fewer people are testing linux-next and -mm nowadays. We
should encourage them to do so, although given the general
trainwreckishness of current mainline, this isn't really where our effort
should be expended.