Re: EXT3-fs error corruption

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 21:01:02 EST

Fred . wrote:
I am running Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" (alpha).

MSI P35 Neo
Samsung SpinPoint T166 500 gb (7200 rpm, SATA-2, 16 mb cache)
Samsung SpinPoint T166 250 gb (7200 rpm, SATA-2, 16 mb cache)

sda1 = Windows XP
sdb1 = Linux

So I am listening to MP3 music in Rhythmbox 0.11.4, and surfing with
Mozilla Firefox 3.0b3 and perhaps doing some other stuff, like maybe
running apt-update && upgrade && clean && autoclean && autoremove or
something in a Terminal or something.

And then my computer becomes unresponsive. The HDD LED shine all the
time on the computer case.

Then I do Ctrl+Alt+F2 and try to login, and I type my username and
press enter, and it waits there for a while, then it start spit some
error messages, and wont let me in.

Like:
EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read node
block - inode=1599522, block=3211298
And it can spam the console with that kind of stuff.

Then I shut down the computer (by PSU switch), restart and it borked out again.
Shut down computer by PSU switch again, and runned HUTIL v2.10 by
Samsung, a disk diagnostic tool that checks SMART, does disk spin up,
spin down, read surface scan, and couple other diagnostic stuff. It
reported no errors, and said the disk were okay.

Then I rebooted into my old Ubuntu 7.04 "Gutsy Gibbon" LiveCD and run
some commands to fix it.
$ sudo e2fsck -pcf /dev/sdb1
$ sudo badblocks -sv /dev/sdb1

After that, computer worked again.
But today (next day), my computer borked out again.
In the same way and started spitting out error messages...

[20061.478996] journal commit I/O error
[numbers] EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_find_entry: reading
directory #2399041 offset 0

and stuff like:
[numbers] EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_reserve_inode_write:
Journal has aborted

It happened when I was using the 2.6.24-11-386 kernel.
I am scared, I don't know if my hard disk maybe is broken. Samsung's
HUTIL said the hard disk was okay.
But now it happened more than once, and maybe its a bug in the kernel,
or ext3 file system? I don't know. =/

A hardware problem would seem the most likely suspect. If it's getting journal I/O errors, etc. there should be error messages from whatever storage driver it's using though. Were those the only errors you saw?