Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 14:23:27 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:
On Wednesday 12 March 2008 06:11, Alan Cox wrote:

No I get that. You've ignored the fact I'm suggesting that design choice
is dumb.

You seem to be calling Linux unreliable.

It's more reliable than many others, but it's not perfect.

Besides, there are many failure modes beyond the control of the kernel. Hardware errors can lock up the bus and prevent I/O, RAM modules can go bad, technicians can yank out cards without waiting for the ready light.

For certain classes of devices it's necessary to plan for these sorts of things, and a model where the on-disk structures may be inconsistent by design is not going to be very attractive.

Chris