Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

From: david
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 04:37:29 EST

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Daniel Phillips wrote:

On Thursday 13 March 2008 00:55, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
if you are not measuring the time to get from ram to disk (which you are
not doing in your ramback device) syncs are meaningless.

There was a time when punchcards ruled and everybody was nervous about
storing their data on magnetic media. I remember it well, you may not.
But you are repeating that bit of history, there is a proverb in there
somewhere.

Why am I reminded of old arguments like "if men were meant to fly, God
would have given them wings"? Please just give me your microsecond
scale transaction processing solution and I will be impressed and
grateful. Until then... here is mine. Service with a smile.

if you don't have to worry about unclean shutdowns then your system is not
needed. all you need to do is to create a ramdisk that you populate with
dd at boot time and save to disk with dd at shutdown. problem solved in a
couple lines of shell scripts and no kernel changes needed.

if you want the data to be safe in the face of unclean shutdowns and
crashes, then you need to figure out how to make the image on disk
consistant, and at this point you have basicly said that you don't think
that it's a problem. so we're back to what you can do today with a couple
lines of scripting.

Feel free. You use your script, and somebody with a reliable UPS or
two can use my driver, once it is stabilized of course. Just don't be
in business against them if being a few milliseconds slower on the
uptake means money lost.

so now you are saying that you are faster then a ramdisk?????

either you are completely out of touch or you misunderstood what I was saying.

if you have a reliable UPS and are willing to rely on it to save your data take the identical hardware to what you are planning to use, but instead of using your driver just create a ramdisk and load it on boot and save the contents on shutdown.

in this case you are doing zero disk I/O during normal operation, you only touch the disk during startup and shutdown.

with your proposal the system will be copying chunks of data from the ramdisk to the hard disk at random times, and you are claiming that doing so makes you faster then a ramdisk????

I'll say it again. if you trust your UPS and don't care about unclean shutdowns (say for example that you trust that linux is just never going to crash) there's no need to write parts of the ramdisk to the hard disk during normal operation, you can wait until you are told that you are going to shutdown to do the data save.

now there's no driver needed, just a couple lines of init scripts.

David Lang