Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 15:16:25 EST

Daniel Phillips wrote:
On Thursday 13 March 2008 06:27, Ric Wheeler wrote:
So "perfectly reliable if UPS power does not fail" seems a bit over the
top.
It works for EMC :-)
Where they control the hardware and run a rather specialized OS as well,
not a general purpose system like Linux on "commodity" hardware ;-)
Actually, in Centera we use generic hardware with a fairly normal kernel which has strategic backports from upstream (libata, nic drivers, etc).

No UPS in the picture. Data integrity is protected by working with the application team to insure they understand when data is safely on the disk platter and working with IO & FS people to try and make sure we don't lie to them (too much ) about that promise.

The centera boxes are tested with power failure & error injection and by all of our customers in all those ways customers do ;-)

Hi Ric,

Right, so Linux has gotten to the point where it competes with purpose-
built embedded software in reliability. Not quite there, but close
enough for mission-critical.

This is our case, but we have been working for quite a while to enhance the reliability of the io stack & file systems. It also helps to be very careful to select hardware components with mature, open source & natively integrated drivers ;-)

I was not thinking of Centera when I mentioned the UPS though...

Daniel

No problem, we certainly have many boxes with built in ups hardware ;-)

ric