Re: 2.6.25-rc2 Regression Thinkpad acpi

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Thu Mar 13 2008 - 19:14:27 EST

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > If you want to test thinkpad-acpi functionality, get HAL and X.org out of
> > the way. The easiest way is to do it in single user mode.
>
> And lets now get back to reality - the reality that now breaks the
> previously working setup of lots of users. So you are telling me that in
> order to get my volume key functionality back I have to get rid of HAL
> and X?

I am telling you to go single user mode to check if the problem is in
thinkpad-acpi. Nothing more, nothing less. AFTER we find out where the
problem is, we see what should be done about it.

> Lets turn back time a bit. Why was this change made? IOW, what was the

What change? For all we know, it could be a bug. And if it is not a bug,
read the thinkpad-acpi documentation, and complain to me exactly about
whatever change described in there that is giving you issues. Or give me a
bissect culprit. Or do the testing I asked you to do, and tell me the
results.

> reason for breaking a working setup for lots of users? It better be a
> damn good reason, or I would heavily argue for reverting this change so
> that 2.6.25 actually WORKS as expected for thinkpad users.

I will get pissed very fast, if you keep up with this tone. I certainly did
not send in any changes that should cause what you describe on purpose,
UNLESS you have disabled with the "deprecated" /proc/acpi/event stuff. In
which case, it is your problem to get proper userspace.

Henrique Holschuh