initramfs - unable to boot livcd from usb-cdrom devices (bug)

From: depaolis\.salvatore\@libero\.it
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 10:14:33 EST

Hi all the ML

I got a travelmate with does not have an inner cdrom, so the only way to install linux is by using the usb-cdrom device provided with the laptop.

The problem is this one:

While booting the livecd, initramfs is loaded and it probe for devices and then would mount the new_root on the cdrom and eventually to unsquash a filesystem.

With this kind of device, there's more lag of time to firstly probe the usb and then the cdrom device. The result is that the device is mounted before is been probed showed the prompt of (initramfs)

I remember of an option for the kernel to delay the mount of the root, but it did not work to me with the cdrom.. I tried in this way root=/ rootdelay=10

Any help is really appreciated.
Regards
Sal