Re: [ANNOUNCE] Ramback: faster than a speeding bullet

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 16:19:12 EST

Hi!

> > if you have a reliable UPS and are willing to rely on it to save your data
> > take the identical hardware to what you are planning to use, but instead
> > of using your driver just create a ramdisk and load it on boot and save
> > the contents on shutdown.
>
> Aha! You are getting close. Really, that is all ramback does. It
> just handles some very difficult related issues efficiently, in such a
> way as to minimize any denial of service from complete loss of UPS
> power. This is all just about using power management in a new way that
> gets higher performance. But your battery power has to be reliable.
> Just make it so. It is not difficult these days, or even particularly
> expensive.
>
> I calculated somewhere along the line that it would take something like
> 17 minutes to populate the big Violin ramdisk initially, and 17 minutes
> to save it during a loss of line power event, during which UPS power
> must be not run out before ramback achieves disk sync or you will get
> file corruption. (This rule was mentioned in my original post.)
>
> All well and could, you can in fact do that with a pretty simple script.
> But in the initial 17 minutes your application may not read or write
> the ramdisk data and in the closing 17 minutes it may not write. That
> knocks your system down to 4 nines, given one planned shutdown per year.
> Not good, not good at all.

Hmm, what happens if applications keep dirtying so much data you miss
your 17minute deadline?

Anyway...
ext2
+ lots of memory
+ tweaked settings of kflushd (only write data older than 10 years)
+ just not using sync/fsync except during shutdown
+ find / | xargs cat

...is ramback, right? Should have same performance, and you can still
read/write during that 17+17 minutes.

Ok, find | xargs might be slower... but we probably want to fix that
anyway....

It has big advantage: if you only tell kflushd to hold up writes for
an hour, you loose a little in performance and gain a lot in
reliability...

(If ext2+tweaks is slower than ramback, we have a bug to fix, I'm
afraid).
Pavel